An Ant Language [in-language name to be determined]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Senlozan
rupestrian
rupestrian

An Ant Language [in-language name to be determined]

Post by Senlozan »

I was browsing through the forum and saw an old mini-idea for a conlang. It was by k1234567890y, and it was described as a language based on more "exotic" means, later describing combination pheromones as a potential language for sapient ants. Then, I went into researching and found nobody's done this. I'll bring you... uh... Whatever the name is. Remind me to edit an answer. Suggestions are HIGHLY encouraged, as I am a new conlanger.

Phonology!!

Starter "Vowels" (SV) [descriptive; sort-of like prefixes]:
ɉ: Intensity Vowel - Strong Pheromone; Indicates high importance
ʉ: Intensity Vowel - Weak Pheromone; Indicates low importance
ɉ + ʉ would mean a Normal Pheromone, indicating a middle-ground importance
θ: Animacy Vowel - Alive/Animate
ⱱ: Animacy Vowel - Inanimate

Ending "Vowels" (EV) [descriptive; sort-of like suffixes]:
ɪ: Amount Vowel - Singular OR Can Be Done Solo
ɐ: Amount/Describing Vowel - Plural OR Requires Help
ɺ: Topic Vowel - Self [weak], Other [normal], or All [strong]

Consonants (C) [topics]:
ɱ: Edible thing
r: Inedible thing
y: Conceptual thing [numbers, thoughts, etc]

SV(SV)(SV)CEV(EV)

Sample!!!

ɉʉθɱɺɪ ɉθrɺ

Normal, Animate, Edible thing, Other [normal], Can Be Done Solo
Greeting somebody else.
Strong, Animate, Inedible thing, All [strong]
The entire planet, or world

"Hello, World!"
Last edited by Senlozan on 05 Dec 2023 17:15, edited 2 times in total.
Everybody's gangsta until the palatal trill shows up.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Re: An Ant Language [in-language name to be determined]

Post by Arayaz »

Senlozan wrote: 04 Dec 2023 21:32 combination pheromones as a potential language for sapient ants
But this language is conveyed via phonemes, like a normal human language...
Edit: Wait, do the phonemes that you've written represent pheromones?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi [Unnamed] Ẹlnk kakúsan
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Senlozan
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Senlozan »

Arayaz wrote: 04 Dec 2023 21:46
Senlozan wrote: 04 Dec 2023 21:32 combination pheromones as a potential language for sapient ants
But this language is conveyed via phonemes, like a normal human language...
Edit: Wait, do the phonemes that you've written represent pheromones?
Yes, the phonemes represent pheromones. I'm thinking the ants would use these as a writing system, while actually speaking uses the pheromones.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

yeeeeeah I love exolangs! I posted a topic about non human phonologies that you might be interested in.

Just to be clear, I'm assuming the symbols you've chosen aren't meant to be read phonetically, correct? They're just placeholders for the pheromones used as phonemes? (I really wish linguists could come up with a more general term for the unit below morpheme that doesn't imply it has to be a sound. I know signed languages are sometimes said to have cheremes but that ended up not sticking.)
Senlozan
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Senlozan »

lurker wrote: 04 Dec 2023 22:10 yeeeeeah I love exolangs! I posted a topic about non human phonologies that you might be interested in.
I'll check it out! Thanks [:D] !
lurker wrote: 04 Dec 2023 22:10 Just to be clear, I'm assuming the symbols you've chosen aren't meant to be read phonetically, correct? They're just placeholders for the pheromones used as phonemes? (I really wish linguists could come up with a more general term for the unit below morpheme that doesn't imply it has to be a sound. I know signed languages are sometimes said to have cheremes but that ended up not sticking.)
Yeah, the symbols were just placeholders I chose that would fit with the whole theme of pheromones and chemicals.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

All right. It's confusing because you call them "vowels" and "consonants."
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi [Unnamed] Ẹlnk kakúsan
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Senlozan wrote: 04 Dec 2023 22:42
lurker wrote: 04 Dec 2023 22:10 yeeeeeah I love exolangs! I posted a topic about non human phonologies that you might be interested in.
Not to keep shilling my own threads, but you might also be interested in this thread on "xenoergonomics" as I like to call it, or the tools, clothing, architecture, weapons etc. of sophonts with non-human body plans. If you're also worldbuilding around this language and its speakers I'd love to hear more about that stuff.

Are they literally sapient ants from Earth, or just aliens/fantasy creatures that look like ants? Do they have a group mind like a lot of archetypal insect-based races? If they have a language I'd assume they're more individual.

Are they also the size of ants? I wonder how we could coexist with them if that were the case. One concept I'm kicking around for my own con-world are tiny remotely operated micro-mechs used in medical procedures. Think Fantastic Voyage but avoiding all the stupidly dangerous consequences of shrinking yourself and going into a living body. I suppose we could use something like that, but relatively larger, to interact with these ants.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

lurker wrote: 04 Dec 2023 22:10I really wish linguists could come up with a more general term for the unit below morpheme that doesn't imply it has to be a sound.
Emes. 😎
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Just to be clear, I'm assuming the symbols you've chosen aren't meant to be read phonetically, correct? They're just placeholders for the pheromones used as phonemes? (I really wish linguists could come up with a more general term for the unit below morpheme that doesn't imply it has to be a sound. I know signed languages are sometimes said to have cheremes but that ended up not sticking.)
Segments.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Senlozan
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Senlozan »

lurker wrote: 05 Dec 2023 01:40
Senlozan wrote: 04 Dec 2023 22:42
Not to keep shilling my own threads, but you might also be interested in this thread on "xenoergonomics" as I like to call it, or the tools, clothing, architecture, weapons etc. of sophonts with non-human body plans. If you're also worldbuilding around this language and its speakers I'd love to hear more about that stuff.

Are they literally sapient ants from Earth, or just aliens/fantasy creatures that look like ants? Do they have a group mind like a lot of archetypal insect-based races? If they have a language I'd assume they're more individual.

Are they also the size of ants? I wonder how we could coexist with them if that were the case. One concept I'm kicking around for my own con-world are tiny remotely operated micro-mechs used in medical procedures. Think Fantastic Voyage but avoiding all the stupidly dangerous consequences of shrinking yourself and going into a living body. I suppose we could use something like that, but relatively larger, to interact with these ants.
I'd imagine the ants would be human-sized, and yes, they are basically just evolved ants similar to those on Earth. I'm thinking they live on a different planet, though.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Senlozan wrote: 05 Dec 2023 17:05I'd imagine the ants would be human-sized, and yes, they are basically just evolved ants similar to those on Earth. I'm thinking they live on a different planet, though.
you'd be interested in Sovála, a similar worldbuilding project wherein after humans disappear (for reasons unknown), a strange substance mutates some mammals into anthropomorphic versions of themselves.

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I remember a few decades back in Weekly World News, the supermarket tabloid that brought us Batboy, there was a story about scientists decoding the language of ants. One of the scientists quoted in the article said the ants have no word for "I", but some 300-odd words for "we".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 92,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!