Serious question about writing systems

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
regenbogen9
rupestrian
rupestrian

Serious question about writing systems

Post by regenbogen9 »

If I make a language that has small units of meaning of one syllabe (for example, let's think that /ka/ means ''women''), and I create a syllabary type of writing system for it, supposing that the symbol ''O'' stands for /ka/, is it a syllabary or a logogram?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: Serious question about writing systems

Post by Arayaz »

regenbogen9 wrote: 19 Jan 2024 14:45 If I make a language that has small units of meaning of one syllabe (for example, let's think that /ka/ means ''women''), and I create a syllabary type of writing system for it, supposing that the symbol ''O'' stands for /ka/, is it a syllabary or a logogram?
It depends. If /kati/ means "tea leaf," do you spell that with its own glyph or with "ka" + "ti"?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber family Ngama Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
regenbogen9
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by regenbogen9 »

Great question! I was thinking about it, but I hadn't thought to combine words like that yet. I think I would say ka + ti. Do logograms have a single symbol for every existing thing?
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Logographies don't have a single symbol for every existing thing; they have symbols for roots. Compounds are written with as many logograms as the word has members, and there are ways, usually by syllabic signs, to write affixes, particles and the like.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages