My friend is in need of help.

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
notahippo
rupestrian
rupestrian

My friend is in need of help.

Post by notahippo »

I want to first say that I really hope I don't break any rules here. I went through the General Information and Rules tab and this doesn't seem to be against any.

My friend is in need of help. A lot of help. Here is his story found on his GoFundMe (https://www.gofundme.com/f/trapped-in-t ... e=customer)

"Hello! My name is Chris, otherwise known as @the_papa_groove on TikTok. Last September I had to have my left leg amputated right below the knee, and because of that I've been unable to work for almost four months. My roommates are on a low-paying disability payment, and so we are four months behind on rent and so the landlord is taking us to court to evict us. I've exhausted all possibilities of getting help from charities and any agencies on the state, county and city levels. Our only option is to move to a new apartment, but we need money to do that, so I'm reaching out to anyone who sees this and asking (begging) for your help. Thank you." He will be evicted by the end of February.

I really want to help this man. He deserves it. I know none of you know him personally, but if you did, you would understand. You don't need to donate, either. Just sharing around his message means a ton to me and him. I hope he can get the help he needs.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: My friend is in need of help.

Post by Khemehekis »

Thank you for letting us know. I've shared the GoFundMe to my Facebook wall.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
notahippo
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by notahippo »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Feb 2024 00:24 Thank you for letting us know. I've shared the GoFundMe to my Facebook wall.
Thank you so much!!!
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

:con: 3SDL:
cp¦ØaHbµ«M
(man touching heart of mine and please of you...)
my friend needs you...
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Just because there has been a report (more of a "just in case" report, nothing negative) I thought I'd just step in quickly

You are right, as far as I understand the rules at least, there's nothing explicitly against this particular kind of link to other pages. And if they are your friend, and you're just looking to expand the people they might be able to reach, in a genuine plea for help, then I can completely appreciate where you're coming from

What I will say, however, mostly to other users, is to just be careful on your own end. If you want to share fund-raising/charity things elsewhere online, follow the usual advice you'll see all over the place, i.e. 1) please dig into it because some people do use these sites to commit scams or worse try to gain access to information with which they can commit fraud (we've had this happen a couple of times, seeing the end result, at my work, for example), and 2) do not put yourself at financial risk, even if you are 100% sure that a plea for help is genuine. As sad and depressing as it can be seeing someone struggle, putting yourself in a position where you might not be able to pay an important bill, and ending up in debt, for example, is not a good move (so, again, if a plea is genuine, and you want to help but absolutely cannot, share the link, maybe a friend or family member who can help will help)*

Speaking to notahippo directly again, I hope your friend manages to raise the funds he needs, and can find a place to live, hopefully with a lot less stress given everything that's gone on
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Just to let you know, I've also shared a link to the GoFundMe page on my best friend Lamesha's Facebook wall. Lamesha's involved in some prayer rings and the kind of Facebook groups that spread things like this around, so it should help.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!