The undeserving poor

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

The undeserving poor

Post by Omzinesý »

I quite from Piketty.

:eng:
For Giacomo Todeschini, the idea of "the underserving poor" can be traced back to the Middle Ages and perhaps more generally to the end of slavery and forced labor and outright ownership of the poor classes by the wealthy classes.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: The undeserving poor

Post by Iyionaku »

I am relatively sure that you have a spelling error in the challenge. At least I think it should be "undeserving", not "underserving"
(For me as a non-native speaker of English, I was puzzled for a while how to translate this word, or what it even means in context [xD] )

:con: Yélian

Can Giacomo Todeschini, æ'cundes o'»palanfelimcæcureatsan« tyacelitcurut pès conucets, èpa cu pèrtaun levoncurut pès péredan o'crayosé, o'martalgarbiyas, èpa pi a'rogófeliman yifadebioʻi a'rogómatin.
[kɐn ˈt͡ʃaːkɔ̈mɔ̈ tɔ̈dəsˈkiːni əˈkundəʃ ɔ̈ˈpaːlɐnˌeːlɨmkəkəkʉˌɾeː.ɐt͡sɐn t͡ʃɐˈkeːlɨˈkuːɾʉ‿pɛs kɔ̈ˈnuːkət͡s, ˈɛpɐ kʉ ˈpɛɾtaʊ̯n ˌleːʋɔ̈nˈkuːɾʉ‿pɛs ˈpeːɾədɐn ɔ̈ˌkraːʃɔ̈ˈseː, ɔ̈ˈmaɾtɐlgɐɾˌba̯iːɐʃ, ˈɛpɐ pi ɐɾɔ̈ˈgoːˌɸeːlɨmɐn ɕɨɸɐdəˈbiːɔ̈ʔɨ ɐɾɔ̈ˈgoːˌmaːtɨn]
for PROP PROP, DEF.CONC=topic DEF.GEN=person.PL-poor-NEG-deserve-ADZ-PL POT-retrace-INV.3SG.INAN to middle_ages and at condition-PL likely-come-INV.3SG.INAN from end DEF.GEN=slavery, DEF.GEN=forced_work, and that DEF.ANIM=class-poor-PL PST-TERM-own-INV.3PL DEF.ANIM=class-rich-PL
For Giacomo Todeschini, the idea of "the underserving poor" can be traced back to the Middle Ages and perhaps more generally to the end of slavery and forced labor and outright ownership of the poor classes by the wealthy classes.

New words for this challenge:

celitcura [ˌkeːlɨˈtuːɾɐ] - to trace back, to derive from, to return (in shape)
Etymology: from celit "again" + cura "to go (to), to come (from)"

conucets [kɔ̈ˈnuːkət͡s] - middle ages
Etymology: loan translation, from conú "age" + cetse "middle"

martalgarbiyas [ˈmaɾtɐlgɐɾˌba̯iː.ɐʃ] - forced labor
Etymology: from martal "arduous work, painful work" + garbiyas "by force, compulsory"

rogó [ɾɔ̈ˈgoː] - social class
Etymology: semantic extension from rogo "level, field, stage"; the shift in stress to the last syllable occasionally happens if a word's meaning is extended to a conceptual term (cf. vendo "skies" + vendó "heaven")
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.