A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
zyma
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by zyma »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:Front rounded - are invading the system...
Come over to the Dark Side...
Hmm, it does indeed seen like malignant forces are at work... What used to be clean and streamlined little Arapahoesque Hííenununóóoþa now has clusters such as łłtł þþt ffb and front roundeds playing havoc all over the place.

I wonder if I need to start a new thread or just continue using the old one?
I'd keep the thread personally, and just introduce the changes in a new post.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

shimobaatar wrote:I'd keep the thread personally, and just introduce the changes in a new post.
Yeah, I will probably do that. I may need to change the name of the language to reflect the new phonology.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

DesEsseintes wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:I'd keep the thread personally, and just introduce the changes in a new post.
Yeah, I will probably do that. I may need to change the name of the language to reflect the new phonology.
maybe keep the lang's name in the thread title unchanged, but put a "(now update)" after it?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Chagen wrote:I rewrote the setting to one of my conworlds. I then realized that it ended up similar to an old and abandoned conworld of mine from about two years back. I then tried to merge the two as I felt their concepts complemented each other.

However this has become an ordeal. Getting these two settings to play nice with each other is really fucking hard. Ugh. I think I can get something good out of this though.
^ I've been working a little more and I think I've got the two settings playing nicely with each other. Woot!

Also, one great thing about this new mega-setting is that I don't need to draw a map for it, because it is literally impossible to draw a map for it.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Chagen wrote:Also, one great thing about this new mega-setting is that I don't need to draw a map for it, because it is literally impossible to draw a map for it.
That's always fun. Why is this, though? Different planes of existence or something?

I had/have a world kicking around that's sort of "chunks" or "islands" of land separated by magical barriers, so the individual geography of each piece really didn't matter... they didn't necessarily relate to one another at all. (a wizard did it, okay??) So a "map" of the place was really more of a directed graph showing where you could cross the barriers from one place to another.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

alynnidalar wrote:
Chagen wrote:Also, one great thing about this new mega-setting is that I don't need to draw a map for it, because it is literally impossible to draw a map for it.
That's always fun. Why is this, though? Different planes of existence or something?

I had/have a world kicking around that's sort of "chunks" or "islands" of land separated by magical barriers, so the individual geography of each piece really didn't matter... they didn't necessarily relate to one another at all. (a wizard did it, okay??) So a "map" of the place was really more of a directed graph showing where you could cross the barriers from one place to another.
The world of this conworld is a gigantic mass of formless Chaos. Humans, however, can beat Order into it. Indeed, as creatures of order, merely by looking at Chaos, we force it to take shape and become Order as long as we are looking at it (you need special people called Landsmiths to make Order permanent in the region though). Due to this, outside of human-carved paths, cities, and towns, the entire world is basically a gigantic procedural land generator. However, there is some sense to things; an area will have a bias towards a particular kind of thing, so one area will almost always shape itself into forests with running streams and mountain ranges far off, while another will almost always shape itself into burnt and scarred volcanic fields with red cracks leaking lava everywhere. Most places will shape themselves into "natural" features, but certain places shape themselves into massive abandoned cities (and when I say "massive", I mean they can reach the size of a continent). What's even more bizarre about these "cities" is that they don't make any logical sense; there's buildings and streets...but the streets endlessly reach dead ends, sprawl everywhere with no rhyme or reason, and appear everywhere; they run up the sides of buildings, rise straight into the air for no reason, burrow into the earth and crisscross each other endlessly. The buildings are also non-sensical: there are skyscrapers that bend sideways halfway through and ones buried in the ground. There are skyscraper with other buildings sprouting off of them like some metropolitan tree. And god forbid if you go inside them...

Some areas are more chaotic than others; this results in fun wackiness such as volcanic hotlands coexisting with glaciers, or even more bizarre stuff like floating islands, places where the sun is below the ground, areas with trees made of gemstone...it's a fun place.

Well, unless Hell starts tainting everything.

Then you have not-fun things like clouds that rain pure hatred, rivers that flow pure liquid truth, and libraries, filled with innumerable books that have meaningless writing scrawled in them, which simultaneously border and are inside of mountains which snow spoken words. Said libraries are also formed directly out of linguistic principles. To even enter one, you must disassemble yourself to a linguistic description of yourself. Inside them, you can only do things (even if you're simply moving or picking things up) by describing your actions; the more eloquently and poetically you describe them, the more powerful you are in combat, or the more likely it is your action will actually happen correctly (if you don't describe them well, it's possible for your action to be either corrupted or become something else entirely).

Hell is a weird place in this conworld.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

@Chagen, wow, that sounds incredibly cool. I would love to read a book set in a world like that!

I worked out how to say mathematical expressions in Old Azen. I don't actually have all the words yet, but my idea is that there are four phrasal conjunctions that are considered fundamental: AND, BUT NOT, OR, and NOR.

(for example: the cat AND the dog, the cat BUT NOT the dog, the cat OR the dog, neither the cat NOR the dog)

And these are mapped to the basic mathematical functions:

AND - plus
BUT NOT - subtract
OR - multiply
NOR - divide

(yes, I know OR/NOR don't really line up with multiplication or division. I imagine it makes perfect sense to Azen speakers, though)

So a mathematical expression would be said in the form <number> <conjunction> <number> <result>-ACC. (there's no copula, so you just stick the result in the accusative case and the first terms in the nominative case, which here is unmarked)

Using the only numbers and conjunction I have for now...
Bīr basa bīr ekkima.
one and one two-ACC
One plus one equals two.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Finished my first pass of a new alphabet I've been working on. Not sure the language's phonology yet, or what (if anything) will come of it, but I think I like it. It was inspired by a Cyrillic font I found as well as the Latin Alphabet. All I know, is that it will have a lot more consonants than I usually work with and a more expansive vowel system as well. Mayhap it'll be that 3CON that apparently all conlangers create at some point. (I've yet to do one.)

At the moment, it is tentatively given the name Ögdru Srāʒèd /'øg.dɹu|'ʃɹaː.ʒəd/ (however, I might switch out /ʒ/ for /ʁ/!), based on the name of one of the primal evil entities named in Hellboy. No idea why I picked that, but it seems to fit.

An example spelling out the language's name:
Spoiler:
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Chagen wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:

The world of this conworld is a gigantic mass of formless Chaos. Humans, however, can beat Order into it. Indeed, as creatures of order, merely by looking at Chaos, we force it to take shape and become Order as long as we are looking at it (you need special people called Landsmiths to make Order permanent in the region though). Due to this, outside of human-carved paths, cities, and towns, the entire world is basically a gigantic procedural land generator. However, there is some sense to things; an area will have a bias towards a particular kind of thing, so one area will almost always shape itself into forests with running streams and mountain ranges far off, while another will almost always shape itself into burnt and scarred volcanic fields with red cracks leaking lava everywhere. Most places will shape themselves into "natural" features, but certain places shape themselves into massive abandoned cities (and when I say "massive", I mean they can reach the size of a continent). What's even more bizarre about these "cities" is that they don't make any logical sense; there's buildings and streets...but the streets endlessly reach dead ends, sprawl everywhere with no rhyme or reason, and appear everywhere; they run up the sides of buildings, rise straight into the air for no reason, burrow into the earth and crisscross each other endlessly. The buildings are also non-sensical: there are skyscrapers that bend sideways halfway through and ones buried in the ground. There are skyscraper with other buildings sprouting off of them like some metropolitan tree. And god forbid if you go inside them...

Some areas are more chaotic than others; this results in fun wackiness such as volcanic hotlands coexisting with glaciers, or even more bizarre stuff like floating islands, places where the sun is below the ground, areas with trees made of gemstone...it's a fun place.

Well, unless Hell starts tainting everything.

Then you have not-fun things like clouds that rain pure hatred, rivers that flow pure liquid truth, and libraries, filled with innumerable books that have meaningless writing scrawled in them, which simultaneously border and are inside of mountains which snow spoken words. Said libraries are also formed directly out of linguistic principles. To even enter one, you must disassemble yourself to a linguistic description of yourself. Inside them, you can only do things (even if you're simply moving or picking things up) by describing your actions; the more eloquently and poetically you describe them, the more powerful you are in combat, or the more likely it is your action will actually happen correctly (if you don't describe them well, it's possible for your action to be either corrupted or become something else entirely).

Hell is a weird place in this conworld.
Sounds similar to how I imagine my constructed dimension which I decide to rename as ʾIkoḻdēboḥ ("Formless World"), in that it is a realm described as chaotic and unformed. There exists tiled paths that seem to float in the nothingness in every conceivable direction, and perhaps even in inconceivable ones. The paths are made up of steel tiles connected by glowing energies in various shades of purple. The realm has no gravity, however the tiles are designed to generate their own gravitational pull, strong enough that you can jump, weak enough that the tiles do not pull to each other. You also do not age in this realm, and time is inmeasurable.
Outside of the paths, the realm is incomprehensible and if one does not stay on the path, and attempts to stare into the abyss, they will go mad.
The realm itself exists to serve as a link between other dimensions.

The Triad of Mages dedicated centuries to the exploration and study of this place. They believe it will serve as a means of communication with their allies and members in the other dimensions.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

XXXVII wrote:Finished my first pass of a new alphabet I've been working on. Not sure the language's phonology yet, or what (if anything) will come of it, but I think I like it. It was inspired by a Cyrillic font I found as well as the Latin Alphabet. All I know, is that it will have a lot more consonants than I usually work with and a more expansive vowel system as well. Mayhap it'll be that 3CON that apparently all conlangers create at some point. (I've yet to do one.)

At the moment, it is tentatively given the name Ögdru Srāʒèd /'øg.dɹu|'ʃɹaː.ʒəd/ (however, I might switch out /ʒ/ for /ʁ/!), based on the name of one of the primal evil entities named in Hellboy. No idea why I picked that, but it seems to fit.

An example spelling out the language's name:
Spoiler:
That's a cool script! It reminds me of Uncial.

XXXVII wrote:[...] that 3CON that apparently all conlangers create at some point.
I haven't heard of this.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Dezinaa wrote:That's a cool script! It reminds me of Uncial.
Thanks! Indeed it does. The particular Cyrillic font I took inspiration from was somewhat similar to Uncial in some ways. However, I have removed some of the points which made it vary from Uncial, and emphasized some of the things that make it more resemble it, or so it seems. It wasn't really a conscious decision.
XXXVII wrote:[...] that 3CON that apparently all conlangers create at some point.
I haven't heard of this.
There's sort of a myth, or commonly held belief that at some point in their conlanging career a conlanger will make: a triconsonantal root language, a language with no verbs, a language with all vowels or no vowels, and at least one horrid kitchen sink language. There are others, but I don't recall all of what's been said on it.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 10 Nov 2014 21:18, edited 2 times in total.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII wrote:There's sort of a myth, or commonly held belief that at some point in their conlanging career a conlanger will make: a triconsonantal root language, a language with no verbs, a language with all vowels or no vowels, and at least one horrid kitchen sink language. There are others, but I don't recall all of what's been said on it.
Well I only did one of those I ain't doing any of the others!
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

XXXVII wrote:There's sort of a myth, or commonly held belief that at some point in their conlanging career a conlanger will make: a triconsonantal root language
It's no myth! It's Micamo's Second Law of Conlanging, and it's even more ironclad than the second law of thermodynamics!
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

XXXVII wrote:There's sort of a myth, or commonly held belief that at some point in their conlanging career a conlanger will make: a triconsonantal root language, a language with no verbs, a language with all vowels or no vowels, and at least one horrid kitchen sink language. There are others, but I don't recall all of what's been said on it.
I've done a lang without vowels and a kitchen sink lang, but it wasn't terribly kitchen sinky. I haven't made a triconsonantal root lang or a verbless lang (yet...)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Micamo wrote:
XXXVII wrote:There's sort of a myth, or commonly held belief that at some point in their conlanging career a conlanger will make: a triconsonantal root language
It's no myth! It's Micamo's Second Law of Conlanging, and it's even more ironclad than the second law of thermodynamics!
I will defy you!
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Uhh, you sorta can't, because you already made a tricons lang...

My shitty twitter
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Micamo wrote:Uhh, you sorta can't, because you already made a tricons lang...
But I havent made a verbless, nounless or kitchen sink lang, therefore I defy many of your laws!
I will never do those things! Mwuah hah hah!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

My tricons-lang used German vocabulary and uncombinable patterns for different categories:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

1a2a32          Present
1a2a1i2u3       Past
1u2u3           Futur
1a2a3           Perfect
1a2u2i3         Conjunctive (used for wishes)
í1a2a3i1        Imperative
í1i1i2i3        Infinitive
1i2ú3           Gerund
1a2i3í1         Participle
1a22i3          Passiv
í1a2i3          Inflective
1i2u3a          Singular
1u2a3           Plural
í1u2i3	       Inclusive (1. Person)
á1u2i3          Exclusive (2.+3.Person)
1á22a2i3        Narrative (indirect speech)
ú12a2i3         Optative (guess, possibility)
12u2i3          Gnomic
1áu2a2i3        causative
í12a12i3        Intensive/frequentative
1í2a3i2         Reflexive
u12u3           common gender
1ai2u3          neuter
1ú2a2i3         Locative
1ú2a3i1         Vocative
1á2a2i3         Possessive
á1a2i3          Ablative/Genitive
á1ua2i3         Equative
í1u2a1a3        Instrumental
1ú2i1a1i3       Nominative
1a2i3           Dative
á11u2a3i2       Accusative
a12a32a         Abstract
1i2a2i3         Negative

e.g. h-r-n : to hear
haranr          hear
harahirun       heard
hurun           will hear
haran           to have heard
harurin         wish to hear
íharanih        Hear!
íhihirin        to hear
hirún           hearing
hariníh         heard
harrin          to be heard
íharin          hear
hiruna          I/you/he/she/it hear(s)
huran           we/you/they hear
íhurin	       I/we hear
áhurin          You/he/she/it/you/they hear
hárrarin        s.o. said ... hear
úhrarin         hear maybe
hrurin          hear
háurarin        to make someone hear, to order
íhrahrin        to listen
híranir         to hear oneself
hirarin         to not hear
Noob, noob, noobedeenoob [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Ahzoh wrote:
Micamo wrote:Uhh, you sorta can't, because you already made a tricons lang...
But I havent made a verbless, nounless or kitchen sink lang, therefore I defy many of your laws!
I will never do those things! Mwuah hah hah!
Micamo's Second Law only concerns tricons langs.

My shitty twitter
Fanael
sinic
sinic

Post by Fanael »

Micamo wrote:
I haven't made no trincons conlang and I have no desire to make one. Sorry.