What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
dh3537
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by dh3537 »

I've been thinking about scrapping my current conlang and starting over.
roninbodhisattva
MVP
MVP

Post by roninbodhisattva »

dh3537 wrote:I've been thinking about scrapping my current conlang and starting over.
Welcome to my life.

My accomplishments:

1) Named the phonology I put up on my blog the other night Tajieng and worked on it's tone system
2) Created a badass phonology
Sankon
sinic
sinic

Post by Sankon »

Reviving this thread. I liked it.

I'm fleshing out S1 grammar differently than I usually do; I'm deciding how everything will work together and what everything is used for in detail before making up forms.

My favorite:

The negative verb mai effectively changes the valency of the main verb by 1, making it necessary to put objects into the genitive case (if it's transitive) and subjects in the objective (if it's intransitive).

Mata pǔtarqǔnmi.
mata-r pǔta-rqǔn-Ø-mi
beer-OBJ.PL think-3s-IND.DUR.NONPST-1s
"I think about beers."

Mata mai pǔtathe.
mata-n mai pǔta-the.
beer-GEN.SG NEG.IND.1s think-GER.ACT.NONPST
"I don't think about beers."

You can see word-boundary sandhi acting on mata when those endings are added; since the following word begins with a consonant and mata's endings are sonorants, they drop.
T.H.
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by T.H. »

I approve of this thread's revival.

Today, I completed some intensive research into morphology and syntax, and I've created a basic skeleton for my phonology, which I plan to flesh out relatively soon. Might work more on navigating the word-order this evening if I have the time/brainpower.
[profound statement about language in some aspect]
Sankon
sinic
sinic

Post by Sankon »

Guess what I've been working on. :-)

Ara xive ei pǔtathewǔi mata qǔǔtira.
Ara xive ei pǔta-thewǔi mata-q qǔt-i-ra.
DEF fruit DEF think-GER.PST.IMPF beer-OBJ.SG speak-NONPST-DEON
míkl
sinic
sinic

Post by míkl »

Started work on the sound changes on a romlang located in Sweden (I wonder who came up with that :roll:), like I said on IRC.
:eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :fra: [:'(] | :zaf: [O.o]

Focus: :est:
Relapsing (from time to time: Svenska is all-consuming): :swe:
Interested: Pretty much everything else.
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

Fleshing out my new conscript. On the agenda for today: Make a usable font and/or set-up my custom keyboard.

(We have an IRC? :D)

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
míkl
sinic
sinic

Post by míkl »

Ilaeriu wrote:(We have an IRC? :D)
Check this out. It has all the info you need. :mrgreen:

Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Some information on the Kett/Arve script. I start off only covering Kett, because Arve gets very complicated, as is to be expected.

The script is vaguely a syllabary, but there are only two vowels, transliterated <a e>, and one null vowel column. All other vowels/diphthongs (depending on how you want to analyze them) are written by adding an extra syllable containing a semivowel. So, for example, the Kett word keréu 'wait' is written ke-re-w. The rules are different for unstressed vowels, but I'll get to that later.

Consonant clusters are also written with the null-vowel column: céck 'rule' is written ce-c-k.

The null vowel column, however, is a relatively recent innovation. An older method of writing consonant clusters and vowels besides /a e/ is with an echo vowel and a vowel cancellation diacritic, transliterated by capitalizing the vowel canceled. The two previous examples would thus be written ke-re-wE and ce-cE-kE. This method is still used to a certain degree in Arve.

There is also a rounding diacritic, transliterated <W>. This is only used on the consonant columns /t k j/, to form the consonants /t͡ʙ̥ pʰ ɥ/. The words varétw 'good', pes 'but', and léyka 'think' are written va-re-tW, keW-s, and le-jW-ka.

The gemination diacritic, transliterated <:>, indicates that the next consonant is geminated.

The last diacritic, the consonant canceler, romanized C, only appears on word-initial characters, and cancels an inherent /h/. For example, the words ḩéng and abhéit are written He-ŋ and HaC-b-he-j-t. Native vocabulary contains only words with initial consonants, as does the native lexicon of Arve; all words with initial vowels come from Kannow or unknown languages. (However, Kannow later appended initial h- to vowel-initial consonants, presumably under influence from Kett.)

For a longer example: (this text is very old and probably not even close to grammatical anymore, but whatever)

Romanized
Transliterated

Ketwlá han cékcan máru.
ke-tW-la ha-n ce-k-ca-n ma-r-w (note: Kett has two vowels in stressed position, but five in unstressed position. The other five correspond to eC diphthongs / vowel+semivowel clusters. They are written as consonants.)

Ang láncapean ullá ammárung.
HaŋC la-n-ca-keW-ḩa-n w:-la HaC:-ma-r-w-ŋ

Láncakkoman cécak ve mebérra.
la-n-ca:-k-m-H-Ha-n ce-ca-k ve me-pe:-ra (note: <o> = next sonorant is syllabic. this is written by _ H)

And now for Arve. (Well, Proto-Arve.) Here's the fun part.

The system has to be stretched to write nine vowels (æ ɑ e ø o i y ɯ u) with two lengths (short, long -- overlong vowels developed entirely from compensatory lengthening after simplification of consonant clusters, so they're not relevant here), and six diphthongs (ei øy ou ie yø uo). Also, I should point out that <ü y> in the romanization are reversed from what you'd expect: <y> is /y/, and <ü> is /ɯ/. But the two vowels merged, so it shouldn't be much trouble.

Vowels:
æ - Ce DA
ɑ - Ca
e - Ce
ø - Ce DAW
o - Ca DAW
i - Ce DE
y - Ce DEW
ɯ - Ca DE
u - Ca DEW

The C slot is filled by the consonant directly before the vowel, and the D slot is filled by the consonant directly after it, if there is not a vowel directly after that. If there is, D is filled by H and the vowel gets a C diacritic.

For example, the word vöntus 'alcohol' is written ve-nAW-ta-sEW, and the word rätt 'place' is written re:-tA.

Length: The short length is written with the gemination diacritic. Steck 'wheat' is written s-te:-k. Long is default.

Diphthongs:
ei - Ca jA
øy - Ca jAW
ou - Ca wAW
ie - Ce jA
yø - Ce jEW
uo - Ce wEW

For example, the word huon 'hand' is written he-wEW-n, and the word zeis 'hope' is written ca-jA-s.

Eventually, the null diacritic will fuse with the characters and form a few new sets, although the modifications will be mostly predictable. I might do the same for W+null diacritic clusters, but probably not.

Consonants: The inventory is /p t ts k b d g v s x χ m n l r j w/. The voiceless stops, except /ts/, are written with a modified form of the gemination diacritic, transliterated <S>, but the rest are written with the characters for p t c k v s H h m n l r j w. There's also a glottal stop, but it's written with a diacritic transliterated <?> and applied to H_ characters.

For a longer example:

En enz sjö-tjargut, kes enter lauch.
He-n He-n-c s-je-HAW?-tS-ja-r-ka-tEWS, keS-s He-n-teS-r la-w-H

Kes treir räud skand ast.
keS-s tS-ra-jA-r re-wA-t s-kaS-n-t Ha-s-t

Now I just need to develop the actual characters.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I'm writing an Inyauk quiz. It's pretty fun. :lol:
ian9113
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ian9113 »

Nortaneous wrote:Now I just need to develop the actual characters.
I was looking for a picture, I can't wait to see this!

Today, I added the causative and reflexive voices, and set the foundations for evidentiality for Chavresian.
Deutsche Sprache = schwere Sprache
:eng: :deu: :hun: (kezdő)
:con: Adranivicu
:con: Minten
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I did fuck all.

Well I practiced mySwedish sooo... nothing.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

ian9113 wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:Now I just need to develop the actual characters.
I was looking for a picture, I can't wait to see this!
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Worked on the nightmare that is Sorit verbal morphology. Once I get it nice and polished up I may post a little sketch on it :D
Sankon
sinic
sinic

Post by Sankon »

Began sketching T1. Have the interesting but likely somewhat unrealistic (??) rule that the nasal (it's unspecified for POA) /*N/ nasalizes the previous vowel before glottal consonants.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

I got a wonderful idea for a new lang today. Currently just a morphology and syntax sketch, but we'll see where this goes.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

I was planning out some Djaketian/Proto-Atosanic to Proto-Aidisese sound changes today, and it seems to be going well. Turning Ancient Egyptian to Pseudo-Graeco-Japanese, here I come!
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Today I have been working on some linguistic terminology in my conlang.

Ne aka xō miagaika - "ergative case".
míkl
sinic
sinic

Post by míkl »

Not much done today, but yesterday I made some revisions to the sound changes of Sbëdis. (the romlang has a name!) I hope to start working on the lexicon in the coming days. Doing this for an a posteriori lang is way more fun than a priori IMO.

thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Almost done with Sorit verb affixes. I've got all the ones for person, and the affix system is kind of reminiscient of Georgian, it affixes according to who the subject and object is, and has another affix for things that are in the dative and other cases.

Medtkosach.
[mɛdrkɔsɐɣ]
I gave it to him.

If I didn't create this language I could never learn it :-D