Time and measurement systems

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
cntrational
greek
greek

Time and measurement systems

Post by cntrational »

What measurement and time systems do your concultures use? Give the units and subdivisions, as well as the higher order system, if any (like that of a metric system).

My sci-fi concultures use metric for measurement, but most have native calenders for years (which I have yet to develop). However, my main conculture uses metric time as well, with a metric day as 10⁵ seconds (27.77 Earth hours), divided into 10⁴ second periods, metric hours (2.777 Earth hours). Human habitats use 30 megaseconds as the period for a year. Since it divides so easily, there's no month division. Preexisting metric prefixes are used for other periods.

There are different systems for the zero year, but the most widely accepted zero date among Terran cultures is Jan 1, 1970, abbreviated as YT-#, with the # replaced by an abbreviation indicating the year system used.

While Terran cultures use the metric system, aliens naturally have their own native systems...which I also have yet to develop.

Edit: To be clear, this is about both measurements for time and other quantities, like distance.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Time and measurement systems

Post by Foolster41 »

Saltha uses a system that uses 5s and multiples of 5 for measurements.
Note: to plularize, simply add -"nai" to the end.

Distances:
Tunak ("Seed"), which is about 4/10ths of an inch.
Nan ("step") which is 25 Tunaknai (about 10")
Ginan ("Great step"), which is 5 Nanai (about 4'2"/50")
Lirlosh ("Rope length"), which is 10 Ginanai (about 41',8"/500")
Nenase ("25 steps"), which is 25 Ginanai (104'2"?1250")
Raianen ("Day March"), which is 1,000 Nenasenai (about 19.73 miles)

Weights:
Tukrig (.03oz)
Nasrig, 125 Tukrignai (.24 oz)
Fatrig, 125 Nasrignai (6 oz)
Otrig, 125 Fatrignai (46 7/8 lbs)
Ranrig, 125 Otrignai (5,859.375 lbs)

Liquids:
usashe ("small drink") (about 6 oz)
gisashe ("big drink"), 5 usashenai (30 oz)
gilasa ("jar"), 5 gisashe (150 oz)
Silasa ("Bath jar"), 25 gilasanai (aprox. 29.3 gal)

Dates
Salthan Years are divided into 15 months. Each month (except the last) has 5 weeks. Each week has 5 days (with a rest day as the 5th day). The 15th month has 15 or 16 days (for leap years).
The Salthan calendar always begins on the first day of spring (Around Mar 20th)

Number writing
The number system is base-five based. Places start at the bottom right and works upward and then to the left. (Bottom left is 1s, top left is 5s, next leftmost bottom is 25s, above that is 125s etc.)
Here is the number 3,488 written in Salthan.

A number generator can be found here: http://foolster.8k.com/SNumGen.html

(Not sure if this description made any sense, I can try to describe it in more detail if you'd like.)
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam »

I have a calendar where the 197-day year is divided into 4 49-day seasons plus an extra "bridge day" (Viksen igfi /jifi/) which "bridges the gap" between one year and the next. Every five years there is normally a second bridge day which works like our 29th February.

Each season is divided into 7 weeks of 7 days. The bridge days don't count as part of any week, so the days of the week always fall on the same dates.

Days are divided into 10 "hours", which further subdivide into 100 "minutes" each, and each minute into 100 "seconds".

The basic units of length and mass are the mutyin (1.65 metres) and the odyin (75.5kg) respectively. Prefixes are added to these as we do with SI units, e.g. son-mutyin (16.5km), ssok-odyin (755g). Other units based on this system are also found in everyday use, for example the kara (1000 mutyin·d = 1.65 kilometres).
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

For the real Earth, I prefer The World Calendar. Each date is always on the same day of the week.
I failed to change the number of days of the week and the number of months, because 7 is balanced and 12 has many divisors. And I failed with the Lunisolar calendar, because the numbers are not stable and for that reason and the precession of the equinoxes, my conculture believes that the world has lost is balance and it is now broken.

The conculture tried to name the months according to the zodiac constellations, but the precession of the equinoxes messed up everything. Then the astronomers calculated the position of the zodiac in the beginning of the world (a scientific legend). The name of the first month became "shadow of Aries" instead of "Aries", when Pisces is in the sky. The world 'shadow' changed with the time, but it was not in the name of the month. Now this word is not recognized in the name of the month anymore.

The year 0 is the year in which the country was unified after a long war. Recently, they want to change the calendar. According to the legends, the world was born 2000 years before the year 0 and the position of the constellations were different during the birth. The reform would add 2000 years to the current calendar and the first month would be renamed to "shadow of Taurus". The death of the world is expected to happen after more than 20000 years in the future after an entire precession cycle.

Due to the number system, the clock has "10" hours, but the symbol "0" is used in the clock instead of "10". All numbers in the clock have a single digit.
Spoiler:

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

But I have a planet with perfect astronomy. The year has 336 days in 48 weeks or 12 months of 28 days.
Each trimester is a season and each month is a constellation.
The month has 4 weeks and each week represents a moon phase.
The twelve constellations are: Cow, Tiger, Rabbit, Horse, Monkey, Chicken, Wolf, Pig, Salamander, Dolphin, Snake, Sheep.
The seven days of the week: Pear, Rice, Milk, Egg, Fish, Carrot, Kale.
Example of date in their grammar: Pear of Crescent of Rabbit of 2430. (Day of the week, Week of the month, Month, Year)

I have a planet whose revolution time around the star is 320 years and the average lifetime of the human-like species is 70 years. Thus, each 80 years is a season. Then, they measure the time with lunar revolutions. In the planet, a century means a season, a year is the square root of the number of days that there is in a century and a month is a lunar revolution.

I also have a planet with multiple stars and it has no night. Then they have no unified calendar and clock. Scheduling is difficult and they have to wait for specific events to schedule plans. Their physiological activities are always unsynchronized with each other. Thus, their collective activities are always limited.
Last edited by Squall on 03 Jun 2014 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

The Rireinukave use a standard system of measurements, which is originally based on three units:

rea, standard unit of length (500 mm)
poku, standard unit of mass (125 g)
toririni, standard unit of time (0.8064 s)

All other units are basically derived from these three, such as parone (energy), virane (power), havane (force) or hori (frequency).

To avoid using very large numbers, unit prefixes can be used for both very large and very small measurements. They function similarly to SI unit prefixes, eg. 1,000 rea = 1 senurea or 0,001 poku = 1 seripoku.

Code: Select all

Prefix 1ex  	Decimal                                         SI Equivalents

ñuho	1e30 	1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000	
kiho	1e27 	1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000	
haho	1e24 	1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000               yotta
seho	1e21 	1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000                   zetta
kuho	1e18 	1 000 000 000 000 000 000                       exa
viho	1e15 	1 000 000 000 000 000                           peta
neho	1e12 	1 000 000 000 000                               tera
koho	1e9  	1 000 000 000                                   giga
roya	1e6  	1 000 000                                       mega
senu	1e3  	1 000                                           kilo
haku	1e2  	100                                             hecto
ñuu 	1e1  	10                                              deca
    	1e0  	1	
ñuri	1e-1 	0.1                                             deci
hari	1e-2 	0.01                                            centi
seri	1e-3 	0.001                                           milli
piho	1e-6 	0.000 001                                       micro
koño	1e-9 	0.000 000 001                                   nano
neño	1e-12	0.000 000 000 001                               pico
viño	1e-15	0.000 000 000 000 001                           femto
kuño	1e-18	0.000 000 000 000 000 001                       atto
seño	1e-21	0.000 000 000 000 000 000 001                   zepto
haño	1e-24	0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 001               yocto
kiño	1e-27	0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 001	
ñuño	1e-30	0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 001	
There are also some customary units that have been adjusted to convenient multiples of standard units. These may be used where a standard unit would give inconveniently large or small numbers. One such unit is kusi 'league', used as a unit of distance rather than the standard senurea.

All the worlds of the Rireinu system follow the Rireinu calendar, except for Minaere. As Minaere is the only other planet hospitable to life, it has its own calendar to match the rhythm of its seasons.

The Rireinu day (payu) is 22 h 24 min long. One orbit of Usa takes 678 hours, or roughly 30.4 Rireinu days. One orbit of Rireinu takes 7,422 hours, or 331.3 Rireinu days.

The Rireinu year consists of 331 days, divided into 11 months of 30 days each, except the first month has 31 days. Every three years is a "balancing year" of 332 days, when the eleventh month also has 31 days. The year begins on winter solstice, which is the first day of the first month (eriusano eripayu). The months have numbers for names.

Besides months, the year is also divided into weeks of seven days each. The days of the week are named after the sun, the moon, and the five planets that are visible to the naked eye: anopayu, usapayu, amipayu, reipayu, minapayu, makopayu, hotapayu. Anopayu is a day of rest, or at least time and a half.

The count of years begins from the founding of the city of Haru, approximately 2,800 years ago. According to legend, it was founded by twin sisters, Maya and Reye.

The Rireinu day is divided into 10 watches (ruru) which are subdivided into hundredths (eririni), which are again subdivided into hundredths (toririni).
1 payu = 10 ruru = 22 h 24 min
1 ruru = 100 eririni = 2 h 14 min 24 s
1 eririni = 100 toririni = 1 min 20.64 s
1 toririni = 0.8064 s

The day begins technically at sunset. Sunset falls at 0ru00 on the Haru meridian on the equinoxes.

Office hours are 5ru50 - 9ru00, usapayu to hotapayu.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

prettydragoon wrote:

Code: Select all

Prefix 1ex  	Decimal                                         SI Equivalents

haho	1e24 	1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000               yotta
seho	1e21 	1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000                   zetta
seño	1e-21	0.000 000 000 000 000 000 001                   zepto
haño	1e-24	0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 001               yocto
Wasn't Zepto one of the Marx brothers?

prettydragoon wrote:….
There are also some customary units that have been adjusted to convenient multiples of standard units. These may be used where a standard unit would give inconveniently large or small numbers. One such unit is kusi 'league', used as a unit of distance rather than the standard senurea.

All the worlds of the Rireinu system follow the Rireinu calendar, except for Minaere. As Minaere is the only other planet hospitable to life, it has its own calendar to match the rhythm of its seasons.

The Rireinu day ….
….
Office hours are 5ru50 - 9ru00, usapayu to hotapayu.
That's all very neat! I like it.
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

The only con-timescale I've come up with is for conversions on Hra. I haven't set the year in stone, but the planet has virtually the same rotational period as the Earth. Each day is divided into twenty hours; each hour is one hundred minutes; each minute is one hundred seconds. I even wrote a program to convert a given time on Earth to Hra's equivalent (for instance, noon on Earth is 10:00 on Hra). But I haven't yet gotten a dynamic clock for both.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

The 8th world, where long-longs live, is an parallel earth, so the length of day and year is ideatical to our world.

The unit of time used by long-longs:

hampa - equivalent to two hours.

dalma - equivalent to fifteen minutes.

suwe - four years(It is said that this unit is related to the life-cycle of a long-long, as the life cycle of a long-long has five stages and it usually takes four years for a long-long to grow into the next stage)

kalmaikalfanta - a century of 144 years(from kalmaikal, which means "144(th)" in the duodecimal system(duodecimal is only used with time units in Lonmai Luna, and they are usually ordinal numbers) used in Lonmai Luna, the language of Long-longs.)

cetada - an unit of area based on the average size of farm field that a grownup long-long(a "sankeye"-staged long-long) can word within one day.(from cet("field")+-ada(a suffix denoting unit, with an allomorph -da))

gotisada - an unit of length based on the average distance of one step of a grownup long-long(from gotis("walk")+-ada)

daintida - an unit of length based on the average length of the forearm of a grownup long-long(from dainti("forearm")+-da)
she/her/they/them
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Squall wrote:For the real Earth, I prefer The World Calendar. Each date is always on the same day of the week.
I failed to change the number of days of the week and the number of months, because 7 is balanced and 12 has many divisors. And I failed with the Lunisolar calendar, because the numbers are not stable and for that reason and the precession of the equinoxes, my conculture believes that the world has lost is balance and it is now broken.
Wow, I had been thinking of a calendar just like the World Calendar for real Earth. I had never realized people had already thought of that
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

cntrational wrote:What measurement and time systems do your concultures use? Give the units and subdivisions, as well as the higher order system, if any (like that of a metric system). Edit: To be clear, this is about both measurements for time and other quantities, like distance.
In Auntimoany, I have thus far discovered their linear measures and money matters at the very least:
  • Linear Measures
    6 cwedalls = 1 pepen
    4 pepens = 1 corn
    3 corns = 1 nut
    3 nuts = 1 palm
    4 nuts = 1 butlong
    3 palms = 1 span or 9 nuts
    6 nuts = 1 bolthing
    3 spans = 1 lesser teyze
    12 nuts = 1 foot
    3 bolthings = 1 halfing
    4 spans = 2 halfings or 1 greater teyze
    5 spans = 1 allen or 1 1/4 greater teyze
    8 spans = 1 quarterstaff
    12 spans = 3 greater teyzes or 1 greatstaff
    32 allens = 1 bolt or 120 feet
    16 allens = 1 chain
    12 chains = 1 stadion or 720 feet
    24 stadia = 1 leyve
There is, in Auntimoany, an office, that of the Lord Warden, who keeps track of the official measuring devices of the empire. The Lord Warden of the silver pips and golden corns doth declare... -- this is the typical verbiage found on official measurement plaques, such as you might in one of the great markets. The Lord Warden of the Silver Pips and Golden Corns has all sorts of interesting measurement standards in his care, sort of like that platinum ell they keep at Paris *here*. He is the keeper of the weights, rods and bowls against which any measuring device in the East can be compared to ensure proper function. Though it seems they often become lost, especially those rascally little pips & corns. And usually where they become lost is in the cushions of the big comfy chair in the Lord Warden's study. The maid often finds the things along with an assortment of actual field corn kernels, poppy seeds, quickfood wrappings and the occasional denture.
  • Currency
    16 dalers = 2 doubles, 1 gold rinar of Teleran
    8 dalers = 1 double
    2 dalers = 1 eagle = 16 geese
    1 daler = 12 pence = 8 geese = 180 wrens = 1440 hummingbirds
    1 penny = 2½ pieces, 1½ geese, 80 royals
    1 goose = 120 royals = 15 wrens
    1 wren = 12 hummingbirds
    1 wren = 8 royals
    1 piece = 32 royals
    1 daler = 960 royals
    1 hummingbird = 2/3 royal
And Time is a funny old thing. *There* as well as *here*, Men tend to think very narrowly. They live but a century and a half or at most two, and almost every one of them believes the time fifty years ago was "ancient history" or fifty years from now is the "far future". They have a limited time horizon and a skewed understanding of the flow of things in general. Daine have a rather better sense of the flow and balance of things and a superior understanding of their place in time, yet even their experience is limited to the thousand or so years of their lives. Among all the speaking peoples, it is the Teyor who comprehend best the nature of time and our movement within, through and around it.

It is arrogance of a kind, one must suppose, on the part of Men that things must happen within their reference time for them to be notable. Much too hasty! The Age in which Man and Daine move is very tiny indeed and their lives are short, when compared to the great spans of time witnessed by the worlds and the stars. The Teyor are much more aware of the timescales of forest and mountain -- their shorter calendar, for example, turns over once every 1.008.000 years. But even their, the memory of the oldest Teyor does not encompass the whole span of Time...

And then, buried deep under the primeval Northern Forest in the lost city of Alna lies the Orrery. Both a model of the World and in a sense that which the Shapers of Gea modelled the real thing on... Above all, tis a Clock ticking off its Time: it accurately ticks away everytime from the tiniest oultraquanda, the weeest, most unimaginable measure of time that makes half a yoctosecond seem an eternity of eternities -- and needless to say, the oultraquand hand whirls round in a blur that our eyes could never hope to clearly see -- and all the way up to the vast stretches of Time that make the Star Ages seem a mere moment. It is the Perpetual Calendar the very gods synchronise their sundials to and the Clock of All That Is. If the largest measurable unit of time had a hand, twould go around but once. It also shows the motions of Sawel, all the major and minor planets, moons, larger asteroids, comets, dark bodies and mysterious clouds that hover around the Sun well beyond the ken of any inhabitant of the planet or the scrying powers of the most astute astrologer. It show other things, as well, strange visitors that come from time to time, on their way from here to there, though I daresay not even the Wise know how to interpret more than a fraction of the data the Orrery can display!

Indeed, the deeds of forests and the memories of mountains are long -- if our lives are but the faintest tick of the Clock, then surely the long lives of woods and hills account for a couple turns of a lesser hand? We learn in the Colloquy of the Ancients not so much about their plans for taking over the world, but about their long memories of past ages. Yes, much too hasty, people! They would do well to sit among the elderly mountains and hear their tales of ancientry and learn some perspective; live among the trees of the forest knowing that your sojourn there is but a few winks of time for the eternal woodland.

The Wise measure time thus:
  • Time
    60 seconds = 1 minute
    60 minture = 1 hour
    24 hours (Old Day Reckoning) or 26 hours (Imperial Day Reckoning) = 1 day
    14 days = 1 sammath
    6 sammaths = 1 astrological season
    4 seasons = 1 year
    10 years = 1 decade
    100 years = 1 century
    1000 years = 1 millennium
    10000 years = 1 myriade
    2100 years = 1 zodiacal era
    12 eras = 1 hipparchian age
    40 ages = 1 Star Age
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

I don't have anything for distance, but the Kauzasians do have a unit of time. They use a base 12 system like their language's number system.

One day is an enna, and a half day is a sanna.

Each enna is divided into 123 or 1728 vimmam. A vimmam is about 0.831 minutes or 49.863 seconds.

A vimmam is further divided into 36 viŋŋuda. A viŋŋuda is about 0.023 minutes or 1.385 seconds.

Nothing for years yet, as I'm not sure how long a year is in that conworld.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have no idea how to think of linear measurement, and time in a day isn't measured.

However, they divide their year into 10 months of 36 days, with 6-day weeks and 6-week months.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ahzoh wrote:I have no idea how to think of linear measurement, and time in a day isn't measured.
Okay, that's still interesting! Do they not even have vagueish concepts of day division like "dawn", "noon" and "dusk"? If they are able to consider the when of things happening on large scales of time -- after all, they have a calendar and can thus pinpoint upon what day an event happens -- how or why is it they can not (or do not) do the same on small scales of time? If I want to host some friends over for a meal, do I have no other recourse but to specify a day and let them show up at any hour of that day!? How can a society coordinate itself if it doesn't even have very basic sub-day measurement scales?

As for linear measures, how might they think in general terms of measure? Might they compare some thing with a similarly sized body part, the way we might measure something in "spans" or "palms" or "armlengths"? Perhaps they might have traditionally measured by "fingernails" and "knuckles"? It would then make sense that later scribes might give sanction to those traditional units of measure by making them "official". Thus "two fingernails to the knuckle; three knuckles to the hand and two hands to the arm". Hey presto, you've got an instant and quirkily quaint system of measures!

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

elemtilas wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I have no idea how to think of linear measurement, and time in a day isn't measured.
Okay, that's still interesting! Do they not even have vagueish concepts of day division like "dawn", "noon" and "dusk"? If they are able to consider the when of things happening on large scales of time -- after all, they have a calendar and can thus pinpoint upon what day an event happens -- how or why is it they can not (or do not) do the same on small scales of time? If I want to host some friends over for a meal, do I have no other recourse but to specify a day and let them show up at any hour of that day!? How can a society coordinate itself if it doesn't even have very basic sub-day measurement scales?
Of course they have things like dawn, dusk, noon, and morning. Actually I think they only have "sun-ascension", "sun-zenith", and "sun-descension", 5 if you add "half-before-zenith" and "half-after-zenith".

I'm just saying they don't have things like seconds, minutes and hours. Not yet anyways.
elemtilas wrote:As for linear measures, how might they think in general terms of measure? Might they compare some thing with a similarly sized body part, the way we might measure something in "spans" or "palms" or "armlengths"? Perhaps they might have traditionally measured by "fingernails" and "knuckles"? It would then make sense that later scribes might give sanction to those traditional units of measure by making them "official". Thus "two fingernails to the knuckle; three knuckles to the hand and two hands to the arm". Hey presto, you've got an instant and quirkily quaint system of measures!
They would probably measure by the length of a crow's/raven's feather.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ahzoh wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Of course they have things like dawn, dusk, noon, and morning. Actually I think they only have "sun-ascension", "sun-zenith", and "sun-descension", 5 if you add "half-before-zenith" and "half-after-zenith".

I'm just saying they don't have things like seconds, minutes and hours. Not yet anyways.
Understood -- and of course we (Earth humans) didn't have "seconds" and "minutes", really, until the mechanical clock was invented and became stable enough to visualise such lengths of time. Mathematically, of course, the "second" is simply the second division of an hour by 60 -- but in reality it doesn't make much sense if you don't really have much of a concept of how long an hour is, to say nothing of a minute!

So, they dó in fact measure the time in a day, they just use broader terms that more or less equate to our traditional divisions of the day. Perhaps someone has already invented a water clock and has a good idea how long an hour is? Or is that still a ways off?
Ahzoh wrote:
elemtilas wrote:As for linear measures, how might they think in general terms of measure?
I like that! Might they pick certain kinds of feathers as the basic unit? I.e., the shorter body feathers or the very long feathers at the ends of the wings?

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

elemtilas wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
elemtilas wrote:As for linear measures, how might they think in general terms of measure?
I like that! Might they pick certain kinds of feathers as the basic unit? I.e., the shorter body feathers or the very long feathers at the ends of the wings?
They'd use wing feathers, and divide the resultant length into six "subunits", in much a way that a foot is 12 inches.
It seems a crow feather can be as long as 14cm-18cm.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Oh for... do you never even look at the pictures you post, Ahzoh? This isn't the first time you've done this.
The picture you posted quite clearly says secondary wing feathers, i.e. the short ones.
If you instead look at the picture of primary wing feathers on the very same site, you will see:

...crow feathers can actually be at least 26cm.

When you see something saying 'secondary', you should probably be able to work out that this is secondary to something 'primary'.
[You should also note that it specifies 'wing' feathers, and indeed the same site has another picture for tail feathers, but as it happens in the case of crows these are longer than secondary wing feathers but shorter than primary wing feathers.]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote:
[/quote]

C'mon, Ahzoh, Vrkazh has a tonne of sun, right?
You have to have some Vrkazhian folks who toyed with the idea of a sundial at the very least.

In my :con: world, one of the big techno~cultural jumps from the Paleo-Tirgan Culture to Meso-Tirgan Culture was the establishment of use of sundials and standards (though, of course, the farther from the equator, the goofier the hour-lengths become during the year).
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Salmoneus wrote:Oh for... do you never even look at the pictures you post, Ahzoh? This isn't the first time you've done this.
The picture you posted quite clearly says secondary wing feathers, i.e. the short ones.
If you instead look at the picture of primary wing feathers on the very same site, you will see:
When you see something saying 'secondary', you should probably be able to work out that this is secondary to something 'primary'.
[You should also note that it specifies 'wing' feathers, and indeed the same site has another picture for tail feathers, but as it happens in the case of crows these are longer than secondary wing feathers but shorter than primary wing feathers.]
Contrary to what you think, I knew the entire time that I posted a picture of secondary wing feathers and that they are shorter...
But you know they are still WING feathers, not body feathers.... and I said "they'd use wing feathers," so its not like I specified whether they were primary or secondary.

Not the first time that I supposedly didn't look at pictures I posted? I charge you to name an instance.
But the idea that I don't look at my pictures is absurd.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if you get up every morning and say to yourself "Today I'm going to act like a jerk only to Ahzoh".
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sal, Ahzoh:

Let's cease quibbling over quills, eh?