Largest Inflection table

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
zelos
greek
greek

Largest Inflection table

Post by zelos »

What is the largest inflection table you know of?

I dont mean in the sense that it is agglutinative and you can add on over and over various things but a genuine inflection table where there are either so many irregularities or dissimilarities that any potensial pattern is nearly non-existent, the amount of various factors such as cases, genders, declension type etc or aspect mood conjugation type etc for verbs and more ~~~~
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
Trailsend

Re: Largest Inflection table

Post by Trailsend »

zelos wrote:What is the largest inflection table you know of?

I dont mean in the sense that it is agglutinative and you can add on over and over various things but a genuine inflection table where there are either so many irregularities or dissimilarities that any potensial pattern is nearly non-existent, the amount of various factors such as cases, genders, declension type etc or aspect mood conjugation type etc for verbs and more ~~~~
I think for "genuine" you mean "mostly fusional" here--agglutinative inflection paradigms aren't really less genuine than fusional ones.

Ithkuil is the first that springs to mind--even though it's mostly regular AFAIK, it's just so honkin' bloated that its kinda hard to compete with.
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Czwartek
sinic
sinic

Post by Czwartek »

Trailsend wrote:Ithkuil is the first that springs to mind--even though it's mostly regular AFAIK, it's just so honkin' bloated that its kinda hard to compete with.
I'd say Ithkuil's related daughter-language Ilaksh is a little more extreme, as far as tables are concerned. Formatives - the word-class encompassing nouns and verbs - are first of all inflected by four main categories, 'configuration' (of which there are 9), 'affiliation' (of which there are 4), 'perspective' (of which there are 4) and 'extension' (of which there are 6). It wouldn't be so bad if these were agglutinative and each category of inflection was applied separately, but these four categories are fusional, rendering 864 distinct affixes for these four categories alone.

As complicated as Ithkuil is, at least it's more agglutinative than fusional, and makes more use of consonant and vowel mutation.
kadani
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kadani »

Definitely Ilaksh! But as for irregular and thus large... French verbs and German nouns... come to mind. There are many paradigms in both cases.
Q: Il'isa sike'han suntes?
A: Xe'isa sike'han Sike'tes... kali.

In contrast to popular perception, I do have a life. I just choose to spend it conlanging.

Fluent: :deu: :eng:, intermediate: :epo:, learning: :rus:, interested in :tur: :con: Volapük
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

Old Irish has a huge verbal inflection table, probably more complicated than Latin or Greek or Sanskrit.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
LetoAtreides
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LetoAtreides »

kadani wrote:But as for irregular and thus large... French verbs and German nouns... come to mind. There are many paradigms in both cases.
German nouns ? They have only four cases and what is inflected is not the noun itself, but the article.

Polish (and probably all Slavic) nouns are very complicated, with 6-7 cases and numerous paradigms, which depend on both lexical and phonological factors.
roninbodhisattva
MVP
MVP

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Any Algonquian language's transitive animate verb paradigm
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

I would say that probably Inuktitut, due to its affixial polysynthetic nature combined with its scope ordering system, thus allowing it a theoretically unlimited amount of morphemes per word (if said term is applicable to the Eskimo-Aleut languages). Then again, you did say "table" and thus I would have to say Navajo.
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!