Contongues: Our answer to Wikitongues

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
decem
greek
greek

Contongues: Our answer to Wikitongues

Post by decem »

Hello! It's been a very long time since I last posted but I had an idea.

I'm subscribed to the WikiTongues YouTube channel and I very much like their style of simple monologues in a wide variety of the world's languages. I'm aware that people do upload their own videos of monologues (or dialogues!) in their conlangs, but as of yet (correct me if I'm wrong and I'll bin the whole thing) I'm not aware of any place where a bunch of videos of conlang monologues are available and easily accessible.

The channel is new so as of yet there's nothing on there and it's not much to look at. But you can help me change this.

I'd love your contributions. You don't have to film yourself of course, but if you wish not to, provide a video of something cool to watch while we're listening. The aesthetic is important too!

Send videos to contonguescommunity@outlook.com

Once again, if this already exists, let me know (and give me a link!). Otherwise, I'd love you to help me get this off the ground!

Much love,

decem
[tick] : :gbr: | [:D] : :deu: :fra: | [:S] : :esp: :ita: :bra: | conlang sxarihe
decem
greek
greek

Re: Contongues: Our answer to Wikitongues

Post by decem »

Email video contributions to contonguescommunity@outlook.com

Please remember a couple of things:
[*]Your video should ideally be a monologue, about anything, but spoken in a spontaneous style (even if pre-written), i.e. not a story etc.
[*]Film yourself, or if not then include an interesting video over the audio.
[*]Conlangs only. It doesn't have to be yours, if you're proficient in another. Obtain permission from the creator (unless it's a well known conlang used in popular culture).
[*]Subtitles are not compulsory, but they'd help a lot!
[tick] : :gbr: | [:D] : :deu: :fra: | [:S] : :esp: :ita: :bra: | conlang sxarihe
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

Personally, I don't like the name. You should have called it "WikiLings", as a slight wordplay on WikiLeaks.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

Nah, I like the name, although I know the inspiration for this. WikiTongues is pretty good for short demonstrations of spoken language in a fairly neutral context.

I'd like to submit something, although I'm not nearly adept at my conlang enough nor am I sure that it's developed enough for anything more than a very brief demonstration.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
decem
greek
greek

Post by decem »

Znex wrote:I'd like to submit something, although I'm not nearly adept at my conlang enough nor am I sure that it's developed enough for anything more than a very brief demonstration.
Honestly it's the same for me. I hope to submit a demonstration of my conlang but I'll have to spend some time on it in advance to flesh it out a bit before writing up something to say.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Now we're three.

While Buonavallese is presentable, I long promised re-working the sound changes and taking a look at the grammar.
And then there's university-related stuff happening...
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Esneirra973
sinic
sinic

Post by Esneirra973 »

About how long should the monologue be? 30 seconds? One minute? Or More?
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

Yeah, Wikitongues videos do often go for at 30 sec at least, but longer would be well appreciated. [:D]
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
decem
greek
greek

Post by decem »

gokupwned5 wrote:About how long should the monologue be? 30 seconds? One minute? Or More?
I'm going to say at least one minute. Ideally longer, between three and six minutes if you're able to. If not, any contribution over one minute would be greatly appreciated anyway!
Esneirra973
sinic
sinic

Post by Esneirra973 »

Thanks!